Great Rides & Drives Thru Texas Hill Country
- Starting in Leakey take FM 337 to Camp Wood, drive north from Camp Wood towards Barksdale and take FM 335 to Hwy 41 and return via FM 336 to Leakey. This is a spectacular drive through some of the most remote and beautiful parts of the Hill Country.
- An option in Leakey is to take Hwy 83 south to Garner State Park and then take Hwy 1050 to Utopia. Garner Park is a wonderful stop with great access to the Frio River and a very popular summer playground. Take Hwy 187 north through Utopia two-miles and then east on Hwy 470 for another beautiful drive to Bandera. If you arrived to Bandera via Hwy 337 through Vanderpool, take Hwy 187 south towards Utopia and turn left on Hwy 470 towards Tarpley/Bandera.
- Between Utopia and Bandera, in the Hondo River Valley is the tiny community of Tarpley. Hwy 470 takes you very near the Hill Country State Natural Park Area. Tucked away in the rugged terrain five miles south of Tarpley on Hwy 462 is this undeveloped and secluded retreat with five thousand plus acres and 40 miles of multi-use trails that wind up grassy valleys, cross spring-fed streams, and steep limestone hills. Equestrians, hikers and mountain bikers can enjoy exploring the trails of this wonderful hide-a-way.
- Starting in Bandera we suggest you take Hwy 16 north towards Medina. Hwy 16 crosses the Medina River at several spots and provides great entry points for floaters and fisherman who want to enjoy this beautiful river. There are several outfitters in Bandera that provide guide and shuttle service over this beautiful stretch of the river.
- Once in Medina you have two options: Continue on to Kerrville via Hwy 16 or take Hwy 337 towards Vanderpool, Leakey and Camp Wood. Both drives are beautiful and offer great views of the Texas Hill Country. The Hwy 16 route to Kerrville takes you out of the Medina River Valley over a divide and down into the Guadalupe River Valley. The route via Hwy 337 takes you over several divides and into the Hondo, Seco, Sabinal, Frio and Nueces water sheds.
- If you choose the Hwy 16 route to Kerrville plan to return via Hwy 173. Kerrville is home to Schreiner State Park. which is located just off Hwy 173 and is a beautiful 517-acre recreation area rising from the banks of the Guadalupe River to the deer and wildlife-filled hills just a few miles from the center of the city. Additionally, Camp Verde (about half way between Bandera and Kerrville) is always worth a stop. An option in Kerrville is to take Hwy 39 up to the beautiful area of Hunt. Hunt is the headwaters area of the Guadalupe River and home to some of the best summer camps in Texas.
- Take Hwy 337 out of Medina towards Vanderpool and on to Camp Wood. It offers some of the best views of the Texas Hill Country and provides some very interesting stops along the way. Hwy 337 seems to dead end into Hwy 187, but just turns right, go through the small community of Vanderpool and follow 187 to Hwy 337 west to Leakey.
- Another great option here is to follow Hwy 187 a few more miles north to Lost Maples State Park, home of the revered big tooth maple trees. Lost Maples is one of our hidden wonders and well worth visiting especially during the fall colors. It offers great wildlife and bird watching. Another fun stop is the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum on the way to Lost Maples.
Popular Motorcycles Rides:
- Twisted Sisters – Distance 300 Mile Loop: RR335, RR336 & RR337, without a doubt the best motorcycle roads to be found in the Hill Country of Texas. This route follows canyons and climbs over jagged, steep and crumbling hills. They have light twisty curves with sheer drop offs and much in the way of guard rails. Ranch Road 337 was voted the #1 road to ride in Texas by Ride Texas Magazine.
- RR 336 From Leakey: Take Ranch Road 336 North, to Highway 41. Turn left and take 335 South. RR335 merges with Highway 55. Continue south until you reach Camp Wood back to Leaky. The total ride is 95 miles.
The Hunt Loop: From Leakey, take Ranch Road 337 East, go North on Ranch Road 187, then take East on 39 through Hunt. Take Highway 27 in Hunt back to Kerrville. Take 16 out of Kerrville to Medina. Take 337 West back to Leakey. The total for this ride is about 125 miles. *While on 187 stop and tour the Motorcycle Museum. *While in Hunt view Stonehenge Il on RR1340.
- Utopia Loop: From Leakey, take Ranch Road 337 East to Medina. Go South on 16 into Bandera. Take 470 out of Bandera to Ranch Road 187 and go south into Utopia. Then take 1050 to Highway 83. Go North on 83 Leakey. This ride is about 100 miles.